lemonsqueeze

Sunday, August 14, 2005

the gift

gift- 'something wondrous produced from nowhere'
where did this habit of gift giving come from? when you think about it, why do we give gifts for special occasions? and what makes an occasion special? is it hallmark or is it tradition? why was i instructed by the big people to never show up at another persons house empty handed?

the story of the three wise men or the magi bearing the gifts of frankincese, myrrh and gold (or golf as is stated in one web site) has been told many times. the etiology of christmas giving stems from pagan roman holidays where gifts were given as strena/etrennes (good luck) and this ritual was usurped by the church and incorporated into religious tradition. personally 'the gift of the magi' by o'henry is one of my favorite and earliest remembered stories from childhood- also 'the ransom of red chief' but thats another post.

in the middle ages gifts were used as political weapons, to forge alliances, or to indicate dominance over another. it allowed nobles to circulate their riches; to strut their stuff as it were. there were numerous opportunities for granting gifts; royalty arriving, agreements signed, basic social interactions. they carried special meanings and spoke to ones aesthetic being
gifts reaffirm cultural, familial, and social bonds. its also quite a kick to figure out what another would like and delightful to receive. it makes everyone feel good and thats pretty cool.


yet to simplify things, when a friend gives a gift that shows that they have actually thought about me, who am i and what gives me pleasure; that they have taken the time and made the effort, is a gift in itself and for that i am appreciative and truly touched.

another interpretation; gift-'a talent, endowment, aptitude, or bent' and some people have a gift for giving....

6 Comments:

  • At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gift and Guilt both start with the same letter. I remember a friend of mine telling me that the bigger the gift, the greater the guilt.....

    I love gifts. I often feel tremendous guilt. Maybe the two do go hand in hand.

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger minako said…

    so what'dja get?? ;)

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I leave. I return. There is a gift. It is from one of my friends addressed to my children. And in it are toys and wonderous items that were just too good to throw out. She states this in a card (my son chastised me for throwing the card out, and so I had to dive into my garbage and collect it for him). And now my comment makes me wonder, why did we get this gift? I need to call my friend and say thank-you. Sometimes things are so simple and we make them so complicated.

     
  • At 1:42 AM, Blogger intrigant said…

    intrepid- i feel sorry for your friend who appears to be unable to accept the generousity and kindness of one human towards another- how sad to live not appreciating the simple gestures in life and instead interpreting everything shrouded in hidden motives.

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe that's why we are not friends anymore. She always sent me the most lavish gifts - incredible really, I had never seen gifts done up the way she had them done up - I guess she had a lot of guilt (wont even go there now) - so for her this association made a lot of sense! You are always insightful. My shining star!

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey I just realized there is no way to email you directly from your blog??????

    So will leave a comment and say WAY COOL COUNTER. Love that traveling the HI road in a big wheeler concept!

    -Me

     

Post a Comment

<< Home