lemonsqueeze

Friday, September 23, 2005

to the galapogos and back-part 1

first in quito, ecuador the capital city where me and Y- a friend from grad school decide to hire a guide/driver to take us to octavalo which is 2 hours away. we get mil-ton. mil-ton is quite friendly and knowledgable in his hyundai suv and off we are to octavalo. he is also under the impression from the scattering of spanish i speak that i am fluent. i deny this but mil-ton just looks at me with this sad face and says why you lie to me? Y rolls her eyes in the back seat. i had noticed a faint whiff of alcohol but decided to ignore it or rather deny it- its 10am and i must be mistaken. after arriving in octavalo we decide we will meet in an hour and when we regroup its obvious that mil-ton drank his lunch. can i drive i ask. only if you speak spanish to me- you are so-o beau-ti-ful when you speak spanish. si i say, no problemo as i slide into the drivers seat. are you mad at me? dont be mad at me? mil-ton babbles. omigod so this is what marriage feels like- i feel trapped. i start to talk to him in my 12 words of fluent turkish for spite. are you mad at me? he says. for 2 hours on the way home in between dosing off and asking me to commit to him, i get a barage of personal questions. i invent things. i work for the government i tell mil-ton. i cant tell you exactly what i do for then i would have to kill you. and any family members that you care about. i still like you he says...

4 Comments:

  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger intrigant said…

    fish-
    hee,hee
    next time im gonna bring me some mistletoe or mistlefin, whatever...
    and to think i almost fell for that smooth delivery- hook, line and sinker. whew that was close- couldve been blogging from ecuador..

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger rhein said…

    LOL. ah, drivers.

    AND the stories we tell them.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you went with mil-ton and not me I'm jealous

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger intrigant said…

    anon-
    you are always invited- just bring the beer,por favor...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home